Pages

STICKY CINNAMON BUNS

I haven't really cooked much the last couple of days, not from a recipe anyway. We had fillet steak last night and tonight we are having Chicken Fajitas so recipes are not really needed. I thought I would share this one though as these are a really nice low fat, sweet treat.



Ingredients:

110 g self raising white flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tbsps polyunsaturated margarine (I use Lurpak lighter)
1 zest of lemon, finely grated
4 tbsps skimmed milk
15 g soft brown sugar
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp golden syrup

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 210c.

Sieve the flour and all the baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Add 1 tbsp of margarine and rub it into the flour using your fingertips. Stir in the lemon zest then gradually mix in the milk to form a soft dough.

Sprinkle some flour on a sheet of non-stick baking parchment, sprinkle some more on a rolling pin. Lightly knead the dough, just enough to make it smooth, then roll it out to a rectangle 18x14cm.

Spread the remaining margarine over the dough, leaving about 1cm clear along one long side.

Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together then sprinkle them over the margarine. Brush the clear section of the dough with a little water. Using the parchment as a support, roll up the dough from the covered long side to the clear side. Using a very sharp knife cut the dough into eight slices.

Lay a piece of non stick baking parchment on a baking sheet and arrange the slices, cut sides facing up, on the paper. Leave a space between each bun. Bake for 12 minutes, until lightly golden brown.

While the buns are cooking, spoon the syrup into a small bowl then microwave on high for 3-4 seconds. Remove the buns from the oven and leave for 2-3 minutes until cool enough to handle. Brush some of the warm syrup over the top and sides of the buns. Serve warm.
WW points per bun = 1.5
Freezing is recommended

3 comments:

Louise Galt said...

These look yummy but i'd be tempted to eat em all mmmm

david mcmahon said...

If I promise to do the dishes can I come round to help you eat 'em?

By the way, I'm fascinated that your grandfather was born and raised in Calcutta.

Do tell me more. It doesn't have to be in the form of webposts or comments. You can drop me your email address as a comment on my blog.

(And if you want, I'll erase the comment so no one else has access to your email address).

Can't wait to hear from you

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

If I start eating all this stuff, I won't be a size zero either, Rachael!!

I was delighted to find you on Mima's blog on my first visit there.

Don't forget to give me some details about your grandfather. I'm fascinated ....